Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Trying to configure and update the firmware on my brand-new Xbee module pair, I managed to 'brick' them! After an exhaustive search online, I tried every method suggested I could find, to no avail. I finally broke down and called tech support at Digi. While they don't offer direct customer support, that's for the retailer you purchased the unit from, I was referred to a site that that would help. The support rep said if the instructions on this page didn't work, the unit was definitely 'bricked' and unrecoverable. Lo and behold, it worked! Much thanks to that support rep and the creator of this page. Click here for the link. One step I must add. When using a Sparkfun Explorer and the "Action Required" message box comes up, short the GND and RST pins to reset the board.
Posted by mannyR7 at 4:58 PM
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
I've started tinkering around with some CAD lately. It could be a feather in my cap, and help in my day job as a CNC machinist. But at the same time, learning CAD is fun and will allow me to create my own custom robot parts. Right now, I really have no need for a full blown, expensive 3D program, so I did some searching online and came across DraftSight by Dassault Systemes, the same creators of Solidworks. I've tried several freebie CAD packages and all fell short in one way or another. This is two nights' work with DraftSight and I have to say, I am really pleased with the results. My first CAD drawing! This is a flat pattern of my take on a Bioloid GP-style arm. I am going to have this lasered out of .050"-.060" aluminum and then I'll bend it on my mini brake in the garage. As always, if you'd like to download a copy for your own use, click here.
Posted by mannyR7 at 8:17 PM