Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Learning CAD and Bioloid GP arms

I've started tinkering around with some CAD lately. It could be a feather in my cap, and help in my day job as a CNC machinist. But at the same time, learning CAD is fun and will allow me to create my own custom robot parts. Right now, I really have no need for a full blown, expensive 3D program, so I did some searching online and came across DraftSight by Dassault Systemes, the same creators of Solidworks. I've tried several freebie CAD packages and all fell short in one way or another. This is two nights' work with DraftSight and I have to say, I am really pleased with the results. My first CAD drawing! This is a flat pattern of my take on a Bioloid GP-style arm. I am going to have this lasered out of .050"-.060" aluminum and then I'll bend it on my mini brake in the garage. As always, if you'd like to download a copy for your own use, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment